SEER tries to stimulate the exchange of information among researchers, trade unionists and people who have a special interest in the political, social and economic development of the region of south-east Europe.
The journal tries to draw attention to new research results and the latest analyses about the ongoing process of political and social changes in the south-east of Europe. It tries to create more understanding for the importance of the elaboration of democratic structures in industrial relations. The SEER combines contributions from different disciplines and »political schools« into an information package of interest for policy makers, researchers, academics and trade unionists from various backgrounds.
This research paper analyses how countries in the western Balkans have been affected by corruption and how, despite significant efforts, corrupt practices continue to present barriers to their long-standing goal of joining the European Union. Corruption has severely negative impacts on economic growth and a country’s international reputation, and so we infer that a different approach is required. Ten expert interviews were conducted in an explorative research approach in order to examine the concept of anti-bribery compliance incentives. Interview partners were asked to address how anti-bribery incentives could be employed by multinational corporations in order to eliminate corruption. Subsequent discussion illustrates how our findings could be combined with other measures towards eliminating corruption across all sectors. The overall purpose of this research, and its contribution, lies in exploring a new method of tackling corruption and developing innovative theory to gain a more profound understanding of the concept, its implications for the Balkans and how it could yet be addressed more effectively.
- Bingwa (2018) The Bingwa Way available at: http://www.bingwa.info/bingwa.php [last accessed 6 January 2020].
- Borter, G (2018) ‘Number of journalists deliberately killed nearly doubles in 2018: report’ Reuters available at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-global-rights-jour nalists/number-of-journalists-deliberately-killed-nearly-doubles-in-2018-report-i dUSKBN1OI1SH [last accessed 12 December 2019].
- Cane, I (2018) ‘Why the fight against corruption is this generation’s defining issue’ World Economic Forum blog, 17 October 2018, available at: https://www.wefo‐ rum.org/agenda/2018/10/fight-against-corruption-generation-defining-issue-journ alist-daphne-Caruana-Galizia/ [last accessed 12 December 2019].
- Demjaha, A (2016) ‘Inter-ethnic relations in Kosovo’ SEEU Review 12(1): 181-196. Donadio, R (2018) ‘Who murdered Malta’s most famous journalist?’ The Atlantic 8
- February, available at: https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/02
- /who-murdered-daphne-caruana-galizia/552623/ [last accessed 12 December 2019].
- Dorussen, H, H. Lenz and S. Blavoukos (2005) ‘Assessing the reliability and validity of expert interviews’ European Union Politics 6(3): 315-337.
- EU Council (2019) EU-Western Balkans justice and home affairs ministerial forum – joint press statement 18-19 November, Skopje, available at: https://www.consili‐ um.europa.eu/de/press/press-releases/2019/11/19/eu-western-balkans-justice-and
- -home-affairs-ministerial-forum-joint-press-statement/# [last accessed 10 Decem‐ ber 2019].
- EUR-Lex (nd) Accession criteria (Copenhagen criteria) available at: https://eur-lex.e uropa.eu/summary/glossary/accession_criteria_copenhague.html [last accessed 7 January 2020].
- European Parliament (2019) The Western Balkans European Parliament Fact Sheets on the European Union, April, available at: https://www.europarl.europa.eu/facts heets/en/sheet/168/the-western-balkans [last accessed 11 October 2019].
- Field, M (2018) ‘Corruption has a cost… and it is paid by citizens’ UK Foreign & Commonwealth Office blog, 7 December, available at: https://blogs.fco.gov.uk/m attfield/2018/12/07/corruption-has-a-cost-and-it-is-paid-by-citizens/.
- GAN Business Anti-Corruption Portal (2017) Serbia Corruption Report available at: https://www.ganintegrity.com/portal/country-profiles/serbia/ [last accessed 10 December 2019].
- KnowYourCountry Limited (2019) Serbia available at: https://www.knowyourcoun‐ try.com/serbia1111 [last accessed 10 December 2019].
- Korzo (2012) ‘Balkan Länder: Welche Staaten gehören dazu?’ Korzo Urlaubsland Mazedonien blog 11 April 2012, available at: http://www.korzo.de/balkan-laen‐ der/balkan-laender-welche-staaten-gehoeren-dazu (in German) [last accessed 11 October 2019].
- Kyle, J and Y. Mounk (2018) The populist harm to democracy: an empirical assess‐ ment Tony Blair Institute for Global Change, December, available at: https://insti‐ tute.global/insight/renewing-centre/populist-harm-democracy [last accessed 7 January 2020].
- Lopez-Claros, A (2014) ‘What are the sources of corruption?’ World Bank blog 2 October, available at: https://web.worldbank.org/archive/website01605/WEB/W HAT_ARE.HTM [last accessed 12 December 2019].
- Mayring, P (2010) Einführung in die qualitative Sozialforschung: Eine Anleitung zu qualitativem Denken Beltz Studium: Weinheim.
- Misangyi, V, G. Weaver and H. Elms (2008) ‘Ending corruption: the interplay among institutional logics, resources, and institutional entrepreneurs’ Academy of Man‐ agement Review 33(3): 750-770.
- Mrčela, M (2019) ‘Corruption in the Balkans: the elephant in the room’ euObserver 15 November, available at: https://euobserver.com/opinion/146614 [last accessed 10 December 2019].
- Qerimi, Q and B. S. Sergi (2005) ‘On the relevance of the EU as a means of spurring a socially-sustainable south-east Europe’ South-East Europe Review 8(3): 111-120.
- Sergi, B. S. & F. Teichmann (2018) Compliance in multinational corporations: Emerald Publishing: Bingley.
- Sergi, B. S. & Q. Qerimi (2007) ‘Fighting corruption and organised crime as a means of socio-economic development in South-East Europe’ South-East Europe Re‐ view 10(2): 81-94.
- Sergi, B. S. & Q. Qerimi (2008) The political economy of southeast Europe from 1990 to the present Continuum International Publishing: London/New York.
- Tanzi, V and H. Davoodi (1998) Roads to nowhere: How corruption in public invest‐ ments hurts growth Economic issues 12 IMF: Washington, DC.
- Teichmann, F (2017) Anti-bribery compliance incentives Kassel University Press: Kassel.
- Tong, A, P. Sainsbury & J. Craig (2007) ‘Consolidated criteria for reporting qualita‐ tive research (COREQ): A 32-item checklist for interviews and focus groups’ In‐ ternational Journal for Quality in Health Care 19(6): 349-357.
- Transparency International (2007) Global Corruption Report 2007 – Corruption in Judicial Systems 23 May, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, available at: https://www.transparency.org/en/publications/global-corruption-report-2007-corr uption-and-judicial-systems [last accessed 12 December 2019].
- Transparency International (2018) Digging deeper into corruption, violence against journalists and active civil society 21 February, available at: https://www.trans‐ parency.org/news/feature/digging_deeper_into_corruption_violence_against_jour nalists [last accessed 12 December 2019].
- Transparency International (2019a) Corruption Perceptions Index 2018 29 January, available at: https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi/2018/press-and-downloads [last accessed 7 January 2020].
- Transparency International (2019b) Eastern Europe & central Asia: Weak checks and balances threaten anti-corruption efforts 29 January, available at: https://ww w.transparency.org/news/feature/weak_checks_and_balances_threaten_anti_corr uption_efforts_across_eastern_eu [last accessed 11 October 2019].
- UNDP Kosovo (2019) About Kosovo available at: https://www.ks.undp.org/content/k osovo/en/home/countryinfo.html [last accessed 10 December 2019].
- UNODC (2013) Business, corruption and crime in the western Balkans: The impact of bribery and other crime on private enterprise UNODC: Vienna, available at: https://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and-analysis/statistics/corruption/Wester n_balkans_business_corruption_web.pdf [last accessed 11 December 2019].
- Vaismoradi, M, H. Turunen and T. Bondas (2013) ‘Content analysis and thematic analysis: Implications for conducting a qualitative descriptive study’ Nursing & Health Sciences 15(3): 398-405.
- Witchel, E (2017) ‘Getting away with murder’ blog on publication of Committee to Protect Journalists’ 10th Annual Global Impunity Index, 31 October, available at: https://cpj.org/reports/2017/10/impunity-index-getting-away-with-murder-killed-j ustice.php [last accessed 12 December 2019].
- World Economic Forum (2017) Global Shapers Survey available at: http://shaperssur vey2017.org/static/data/WEF_GSC_Annual_Survey_2017.pdf [last accessed: 12 December 2019].
- Xharra, A and A. Ben-Meir (2010) ‘The Cost of Corruption in the Balkans’ History News Network blog 20 January, available at: https://historynewsnetwork.org/artic le/170961 [last accessed 10 December 2019].