JEEMS Journal of East European Management Studies , page 83 - 104
The Journal of East European Management Studies aims to promote dialogue and cooperation among scholars seeking to examine,explore and explain the behaviour and practices of management within the transforming societies of Central and Eastern Europe.
The theoretical interests of the journal are
organisational and management change,
Central and East European societies (including those on the fringes of Europe) undergoing processes of transition or transformation, and
scientific issues of business, management and organisation that arise in such contexts.
The JEEMS aims to attract social scientific contributions from scholars of any nation and region, but particularly wishes to encourageauthors from those countries directly experiencing transformational change. Its potential readership is international, comprising academicsand practitioners with an involvement or interest in the management of change in transforming societies in Central and Eastern Europe.
- page 1–2 Titelei/Inhaltsverzeichnis
- page 3–3 Editorial Mission of JEEMS
- page 4–5 JEEMS – A new deal Thomas Steger
- page 6–8 Editorial Statistics 2016
- page 9–127 Articles
- page 9–38 The influence of authentic leadership on the learning organization at the organizational level: The mediating role of employees’ affective commitment Bojana Milić, Leposava Grubić-Nešić, Bogdan Kuzmanović, Milan Delić
- page 39–62 The role of open innovation and absorptive capacity in innovation performance: Empirical evidence from Slovenia Kaja Rangus, Mateja Drnovšek, Alberto Di Minin, André Spithoven
- page 63–82 Psychological contract breach, leader-member exchange, perceived ethical climate and organisational justice: Are they interrelated and how? Aharon Tziner, Mihai Felea, Cristinel Vasiliu
- page 83–104 The Impact of Customer Retention Orientation and Brand Orientation on Customer Loyalty and Financial Performance in SMEs: Empirical Evidence from a Balkan Country A. Ciunova-Shuleska, N. Palamidovska-Sterjadovska, C. Nedu Osakwe, J. Omotoso, Ajayi
- page 105–127 Bulgarian management in a cross-cultural space Mariya Bobina, Diana Sabotinova
- page 128–136 News
The goal of this paper is to explore the impact of SMEs’ strategic orientations on customer loyalty and financial performance. SEM analysis was employed in order to test the proposed hypotheses. Our study suggests that SMEs can improve their customer loyalty performance by developing their orientation toward creating customer retention and brand value, while at the same time maintaining brand consistency. The results confirmed only the positive relationship between brand orientation and financial performance partially mediated by customer loyalty. The type of business sector and the company’s size as control variables do not affect the assumed relationships in the model.
- Abimbola, T./Kocak, A. (2007): Brand, organisational identity and reputation: SMEs as expressive organisations – A resource based perspective, in Qualitative Market Research: An International Journal, 10, 416-430. doi.org/10.1108/13522750710819748
- Agarwal, S./Erramilli, M.K./Chekitan, S.Dev. (2003): Market orientation and performance in service firms: role of innovation, in: Journal of Services Marketing, 17, 1, 68 – 82. doi.org/10.1108/08876040310461282
- Alrubaiee, L./Al-Nazer, N. (2010): Investigate the Impact of Relationship Marketing Orientation on Customer Loyalty: The Customer's Perspective, in: International Journal of Marketing Studies, 2, 1,155-174. doi.org/10.5539/ijms.v2n1p155
- Anic, I./Suleska-Ciunova, A./ Rajh, E. (2010): Decision-making styles of young-adult consumers in the Republic of Macedonia, in: Economic Research, 24, 4, 102-113.
- Appiah-Adu, K./Singh, S. (1998): Customer orientation and performance: a study of SMEs, in: Management Decision, 36, 6, 385-394. doi.org/10.1108/00251749810223592
- Arnold, T./ Fang, E./Palmatier, R. (2011): The effects of customer acquisition and retention orientations on a firm's radical and incremental innovation performance, in: Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 39, 2, 234-251. doi.org/10.1007/s11747-010-0203-8
- Baron, R.M./Kenny, D.A. (1986): The moderator–mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations, in: Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51, 6, 1173-1182. doi.org/10.1037//0022-3522.214.171.1243
- Battor, M./Battor, M. (2010): The impact of customer relationship management capability on innovation and performance advantages: testing a mediated model, in: Journal of Marketing Management, 26, 9–10, 842–857. doi.org/10.1080/02672570903498843
- Beck, T./Demirguc-Kunt, A./Levine, R. (2005): SMEs, growth, and poverty: cross-country evidence, in: Journal of Economic Growth, 10, 199–229. doi.org/10.1007/s10887-005-3533-5
- Berthon, P./Ewing, M.T./Napoli, J. (2008): Brand Management in Small to Medium-Sized Enterprises, in: Journal of Small Business Management, 46, 1, 27-45. doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-627X.2007.00229.x
- Calabro, S. (2005): Making the mark. in: Sales and Marketing Management, 157, 2, 38–42.
- Camarero, C. (2007): Relationship orientation or service quality?, in: International Journal of Bank Marketing, 25, 6, 406 – 426. doi.org/10.1108/02652320710820354
- Cano, C.R./Carrillat, F.A./Jaramillo, F. (2004): A meta-analysis of the relationship between market orientation and business performance: evidence from five continents, International Journal of Research in Marketing, 21, 179–200.
- Chang, S. J./Van Witteloostuijn, A./Eden, L. (2010): From the editors: common method variance in international business research, in: Journal of International Business Studies, 41, 2, 178-184. doi.org/10.1057/jibs.2009.88
- Chaudhuri, A./Holbrook, M.B. (2001): The chain of effects from brand trust and brand affect to brand performance: the role of brand loyalty, in: Journal of Marketing, 65, 2, 81-93. doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.126.96.36.19955
- Ćirić, M./Počuča, M./Raičević, V. (2014): Level of customer orientation and customer protection in hotels in Serbia, in: Economics of Agriculture, 61, 1, 25-39.
- Deshpandé, R./Farley, J.U./Webster, F.E. (2000): Triad lessons: generalizing results on high performance firms in five business-to-business markets, in: International Journal of Research in Marketing, 17, 4, 353-362. doi.org/10.1016/S0167-8116(00)00009-4
- Dess, G.G./Robinson, R.B. Jr. (1984): Measuring organizational performance in the absence of objective measures: The case of the privately-held firm and conglomerate business unit, in: Strategic Management Journal, 5, 3, 265-273. doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250050306
- Duncan, T./Moriarty, S.E. (1998): A Communication-Based Marketing Model for Managing Reiationships, in: Journal of Marketing, 62, 1-13. doi.org/10.2307/1252157
- Eggers, F./Kraus, S. (2011): Growing Young SMEs in Hard Economic Times: The Impact of Entrepreneurial and Customer Orientations -- A Qualitative Study from Silicon Valley, in: Journal of Small Business & Entrepreneurship, 24, 1, 99-111. doi.org/10.1080/08276331.2011.10593528
- Eggers, F./O’Dwyer, M./Kraus, S./Vallaster, C./Guldenberg, S. (2013): The Impact of Brand Authenticity on Brand Trust and SME growth, in: Journal of World Business, 48, 340-348. doi.org/10.1016/j.jwb.2012.07.018
- Ellis, P. (2006): Market orientation and performance: a meta-analysis and cross-national comparisons, in: Journal of Management Studies, 43, 5, 1089-1107. doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2006.00630.x
- Erdem, T./Swait, J. (1998): Brand Equity as a Signaling Phenomenon, in: Journal of Consumer Psychology, 7, 2, 131-157. doi.org/10.1207/s15327663jcp0702_02
- Fejza, E./Asllani, A. (2013): The importance of marketing in helping companies with their growth strategies: The case of food industry in Kosovo, in: European Scientific Journal, 9, 16, 326-335.
- Fornell, C./Larcker, D.F. (1981): Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error, in: Journal of Marketing Research, 18, 1, 382-388. doi.org/10.2307/3151312
- Ghodeswar, B.M. (2008): Building brand identity in competitive markets: a conceptual model, in: Journal of Product and Brand Management, 17, 1, 4-12. doi.org/10.1108/10610420810856468
- Gromark, J./Melin, F. (2011): The underlying dimensions of brand orientation and its impact on financial performance, in: Journal of Brand Management, 18, 394-410. doi.org/10.1057/bm.2010.52
- Hair, J.F./Black, B./Babin, B./Anderson, R.E./Tatham, R.L. (2006): Multivariate Data Analysis, New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Helgesen, Ø. (2006): Are Loyal Customers Profitable? Customer Satisfaction, Customer (Action) Loyalty and Customer Profitability at the Individual Level, in: Journal of Marketing Management, 22, 245-266. doi.org/10.1362/026725706776861226
- Hofstede, G., (2001): Culture’s consequences: Comparing values behaviours, institutions and organisations across nations, London: Sage Publications.
- Inskip, I. (2004): Corporate branding for small to medium-sized businesses-A missed opportunity or an indulgence?, in: The Journal of Brand Management, 11, 5, 358-365. doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.bm.2540181
- Kaličanin Đ./Veljković, S./Bogetić, Z. (2015): Brand orientation and financial performance nexus, in: Industrija, 43, 1, 155-173.
- Kirca, A.H./Jayachandran, S./Bearden, W.O. (2005): Market orientation: a meta-analytic review and assessment of its antecedents and impact on performance, in: Journal of Marketing, 69, 2, 24-41. doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.188.8.131.52761
- Krake, F. (2005): Successful brand management in SMEs: A new theory and practical hints, in: Journal of Product & Brand Management, 14, 4, 228−238. doi.org/10.1108/10610420510609230
- Krasniqi, E./Kume, A. (2013): Enterpreneurship and strategic management in emerging economies: Kosovo’s perspective, in: Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, 15, 1, 267-279.
- Kumar, K./Boesso, G./Favotto, F./Menini, A. (2012): Strategic orientation, innovation patterns and performances of SMEs and large companies, in: Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 19, 1, 132-145. doi.org/10.1108/14626001211196442
- Laforet, S. (2008): Size, strategic and market orientation affects on innovation, in: Journal of Business Research, 61, 7, 753–764 doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2007.08.002
- Lam, D. (2007): Cultural Influence on Proneness to Brand Loyalty, in: Journal of International Consumer Marketing, 19, 3, 7-21. doi.org/10.1300/J046v19n03_02
- Laukkanen, T./Nagy, G./Hirvonen, S./Reijonen, H./Pasanen, M. (2013): The effect of strategic orientations on business performance in SMEs: A multigroup analysis comparing Hungary and Finland, in: International Marketing Review, 30, 6, 510-535. doi.org/10.1108/IMR-09-2011-0230
- Liargovas, P./Chionis, D. (2002): Barriers to the transition of enterprises from central plan to market economy: The Balkan case, in: Journal of Southern Europe and the Balkans, 4, 2, 191-206. doi.org/10.1080/1461319022000021620
- Lukács, E. (2005): The Economic role of SMEs in World Economy, especially in Europe, in: European Integration Studies, 4, 1, 3-12.
- MacKenzie, S. B./Podsakoff, P. M. (2012): Common method bias in marketing: Causes, mechanisms, and procedural remedies, in: Journal of Retailing, 88, 4, 542-555. doi.org/10.1016/j.jretai.2012.08.001
- Matejun, M. (2014): The role of flexibility in building the competitiveness of small and medium enterprises, in: Management, 18, 1, 154-168. doi.org/10.2478/manment-2014-0012
- Merchant, K. A./Stringer, C./Theivananthampillai, P. (2010): Relationships between Objective and Subjective Performance Ratings (pp. 1–37), in: Accountancy Working Paper Series presented at the AFAANZ Conference, 4-6 July, Christchurch, New Zealand. URL: http://hdl.handle.net/10523/706.
- Mitreva, E./Jakovlev, Z./Koteski, C./Kitanov, V./Angelkova, T. (2012): Analysis of the Existing Management System in Macedonian Companies and the Necessity of Accepting the TQM Philosophy, in: International Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences and Technology, 8, 2, 54-63.
- Mokhtar, S.S.M./Yusoff, R./Ahmad, A. (2014): Key Elements of Market Orientation on Malaysian SMEs Performance, in: International Journal of Business & Society, 15, 1, 49-64.
- Narver, J./Slater, S. (1990): The Effect of a Market Orientation on Business Profitability, in: Journal of Marketing, 54, 4, 20-35. doi.org/10.2307/1251757
- O'Cass, A./Ngo, L./Siahtiri, V. (2012): Examining the marketing planning–marketing capability interface and customer-centric performance in SMEs, in: Journal of Strategic Marketing, 20, 6, 463-481. doi.org/10.1080/0965254X.2012.707675
- Ogba, I./Tan, Z. (2009): Exploring the impact of brand image on customer loyalty and commitment in China, in: Journal of Technology Management in China, 4, 2, 132-144. doi.org/10.1108/17468770910964993
- Pelham, A.M./Wilson, D.T. (1996): A Longitudinal Study of the Impact of Market Structure, Firm Structure, Strategy, and Market Orientation Culture on Dimensions of Small-Firm Performance, in: Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 24, 1, 27-43. doi.org/10.1007/BF02893935
- Podrug, N./Pavičić, J./Bratic, V. (2006): Cross-Cultural Comparison of Hofstede's Dimensions and Decision-Making Style within CEE Context, in: Proceedings of the ICES 3rd International Conference, From Transition to Sustainable Development: The Path to European Integration, Sarajevo, 339-343.
- Podsakoff, P.M./MacKenzie, S.B/Lee, J.-Y./Podsakoff, N. P. (2003): Common method biases in behavioral research: A critical review of the literature and recommended remedies, in: Journal of Applied Psychology, 88, 5, 879-903. doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.88.5.879
- Ramani, G./Kumar, V. (2004): Interaction Orientation and Firm Performance, in: Journal of Marketing, 72, 27-45.
- Reichheld, F./Sasser, W.E. (1990): Zero Defections: Quality Comes to Services, in: Harvard Business Review, 68, 5, 105-111.
- Reijonen, H./Laukkanen, T./Komppula, R./Tuominen, S. (2012): Are Growing SMEs More Market-Oriented and Brand-Oriented?, in: Journal of Small Business Management, 50, 4, 699-716. doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-627X.2012.00372.x
- Sin, L.Y.M./Tse, A.C.B./ Heung, V.C.S./Yim, F.H.K. (2005): An analysis of the relationship between market orientation and business performance in the hotel industry, in: Hospitality Management, 24, 4, 555–577. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2004.11.002
- Slater, S.F./Hult, G.T.M./Olson, E.M. (2010): Factors influencing the relative importance of marketing strategy creativity and marketing strategy implementation effectiveness, in: Industrial Marketing Management, 39, 4, 551-559. doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2008.03.007
- State Statistical Office of RM (2012): Structural Business Statistics. URL: http://www.stat.gov.mk/OblastOpsto_en.aspx?id=39.
- Terziovski, M. (2010): Innovation practice and its performance implications in small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in the manufacturing sector: a resource-based view, in: Strategic Management Journal, 31, 8, 892-902. doi.org/10.1002/smj.841
- Theoharakis, V./Hooley, G. (2008): Customer orientation and innovativeness: differing roles in new and old Europe, in: International Journal of Research in Marketing, 25, 1, 69-79. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijresmar.2007.09.007
- Thompson, F.M./Newman, A./Liu, M. (2010): The Impact of Culture on Brand Loyalty-A Study of the Young Affluent Chinese, in: ANZMAC Conference, 29, 1-11.
- Urde, M. (1994): Brand Orientation – A Strategy for Survival, in: Journal of Consumer Marketing, 11, 3, 18-32. doi.org/10.1108/07363769410065445
- Urde, M. (1999): Brand Orientation: A Mindset for Building Brands into Strategic Resources, in: Journal of Marketing Management, 15, 117-133. doi.org/10.1362/026725799784870504
- Vandenberg, P. (2006): Poverty reduction through small enterprises, in: Poverty Reduction through Small Enterprises: Emerging Consensus, Unresolved Issues & ILO Activities, 75, 1-59.
- Verhees, F.J./Meulenberg, M.T. (2004): Innovativeness, product innovation, and performance in small firms, in: Journal of Small Business Management, 42, 2, 134-54. doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-627X.2004.00102.x
- Voola, R./Casimir, G./Carlson, J./Agnihotri, M.A. (2012): The effects of market orientation, technological opportunism, and e-business adoption on performance: A moderated mediation analysis, in: Australasian Marketing Journal, 20, 136-146. doi.org/10.1016/j.ausmj.2011.10.001
- Yin Wong, H./Merrilees, B. (2005): A brand orientation typology for SMEs: A case research Approach, in: Journal of Product and Brand Management, 14, 155-162. doi.org/10.1108/10610420510601021
- Yin Wong, H./Merrilees, B. (2008): The performance benefits of being brand-orientated, in: Journal of Product and Brand Management, 17, 6, 372-383. doi.org/10.1108/10610420810904112
- Zhang, J./Dixit, A./Friedmann, R. (2010): Customer Loyalty and Lifetime Value: An Empirical Investigation of Consumer Packaged Goods, in: Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 18, 2, 127-139. doi.org/10.2753/MTP1069-6679180202
- Zontanos, G./Anderson, A.R. (2004): Relationships, marketing and small business: an exploration of links in theory and practice, in: Qualitative Market Research: An International Journal, 7, 3, 228-236. doi.org/10.1108/13522750410540236